Combat – unit conflict overview

August 14th, 2011

This article takes the ‘core rules’ and extrapolates them onto the battlefield. It is a summary overview of what happens when armed units clash, and the effect of their weapons on that conflict. I’m attempting to match the outcome of resolving combat with these rules with historical information.

All the ‘core rules’ from the highly detailed ‘Technical Sphere’ (single combat/ duels) are summarised into a set of rules for the ‘Tactical Sphere’ (resolving massed battles). Think of the Tactical Sphere rules as a generalisation of the Technical Sphere rules.

Now that’s out of a the way, I present a few examples of combat between units and how use of the rules result in situations that are similar to historical accounts of clashes between units. Hopefully this will get across the concept of how the core rules inform the results of massed combat.

Examples of clashes

These examples are quick ‘overviews’ – they do not reference all the rules of combat – much is swept under the carpet! The examples are intended to illustrate specific parts of combat.

All examples blow are unit formations. The example title list their combat gear. So ‘1-H Sword’ is a whole unit armed with one-handed swords and no other ‘combat’ gear or armour. For the purposes of these examples all units in conflict are of a similar size, say 20 men on each side.

1-H : one-handed
2-H : two-handed
F=D : Failure = dead
S=C : Success = counter
Longsword : warsword, bastard sword, hand-and-a-half sword. 1-H or 2-H depending on technique.

1-H sword attacks 1-H sword

Attacker = charge in for an auto-hit
Defender = MA test to null auto-hit and counter. Failure = dead. Success = counter (F=D, S=C)
Attacker = MA test to null counter (F=D, S=C)
Defender = MA test to null counter (F=D, S=C)
etc.
Pair are in a death spiral loop.

1-H sword + shield attacks 1-H sword + shield

Attacker = charger for an auto-hit.
Defender = auto-block, followed by auto-counter. (S=C)
Attacker = MA test to null auto-counter and counter. (F=D, S=C)
Defender = MA test to null auto-counter and counter. (F=D, S=C)
etc.
Shield has advantage, but ends up in death spiral and 1-H attacker will half-sword.
Possible bonus for MA test, or reduction in hit area similar to armour?

Longsword attacks Longsword

It’s the same mechanism as 1-H sword.
Pair end up in a death spiral loop.

Longsword attacks 1-H sword + shield.

Attacker = charges in for an auto-hit.
Defender = auto-block ineffective – MA test to pro-actively defend with shield. (F=D, S=C)
Attacker = MA test to null counter. (F=D, S=C)
Defender = MA test to null counter. (F=D, S=C)
Pair are in a death spiral loop. Ends up the same as 1-H sword vs 1-H sword.

1-H sword + shield attacks Longsword.

Attacker = charges in, but Longsword is has greater range so the tables are turned.
Defender (Longsword) = attacks first with auto-hit.
Attacker = auto-block ineffective. MA test to counter. (F=D, S=C)
Defender = MA test to counter.
Pair are in a death spiral loop.

Pike attacks Pike (equal length)

Attacker = advances for an auto-hit.
Defender = auto-binds the incoming pike, cannot counter due to unwieldiness and entanglement.
Attacker = auto-bind to tries and counter, but cannot counter due to unwieldiness and entanglement.
Pair are in a stalemate loop. The ‘pike push’ rules to resolve, similar mechanics to the ‘shield wall’ clash.

The list can go on and on, for all weapons and weapon combinations, and then armour etc.

Philip

Categories: Concepts, Rules |

Leave a Comment

If you would like to comment on this post please use the comment form below. All comments are moderated by me, so once you post your comment will disappear! Until I OK it ;) Please be patient as it can take a few days for your comment to show up. Rest assured that I do read all comments.